Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Heights


I walked up and down Main Street and tried to notice what I hadn't noticed before. As someone who is interested in the design and composition of cities and streets, I found this to be a fun task. The first thing that I immediately took note of are the lack of original facades. All of the store fronts were altered in one way or another. It's sad to think about all of the architectural history of Main Street that has been lost due to all of the "renovations" over the years. 

I did notice one sign in particular that appeared from a different era. O'Connell's has always been a place that interested me when I walked by it.

 I aways wondered how an upscale clothing store managed to stay open in the changing neighborhood. I mean, what do college students want with expensive suits?? Admittedly, I have never actually been inside. However, the big storefront windows (which, by the way, appear to have been replaced with newer windows while still trying to maintain the character of what once was) display all of their fine clothing.

 I did a quick search of the store when I got home and found out that it's a family owned business dating back to 1959. The store's website credited its loyal clientele base for its continued success. 

After spending some time thinking about O'Connell's, I began noticing the poles and benches on the street. 

 I noticed the intricate designs on the poles that almost appeared to be uniform on the different poles and even benches. 

I also took note of the upper stories on the buildings. They all appeared to be apartments, many of them probably occupied by students. 
The upper floors of the buildings in this picture I took even look like houses. Shango, for example, as a second story that is shingled like a house. 

Main Street has a lot of interesting sights to be seen if you take the time to actually look. I'm happy I finally got a little more history and background on O'Connell's, a store I always wondered about yet never took the time to investigate. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you looked at the "street furniture" too. The park benches and streetlights are the result of a fairly recent street beautification program. "Beauty" meaning, what exactly? What image or feel are those benches and lights trying to conjure up?

    ReplyDelete